Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Sheridan, Wyoming?
Ready or not, the colder weather is arriving in Sheridan and there is still time to make sure your windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly checking your windows and doors will help ensure that your home stays comfortable and helps save on energy bills.
What steps can you take to prepare your windows and doors for colder weather?
- Ensure your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris left in windowsills or the moving parts on your windows and doors can reduce the tightness and seal when closed.
- Inspect your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to reduce air from entering the home when windows and doors are closed. It can become loose or torn over time, so watch your weather stripping and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are torn.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can damage exterior sealants and caulk. Get rid of damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Take a look at your exterior surface for signs of moisture leaking, such as cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps prevent cold air and moisture from entering the home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors offers an additional layer of security from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this improve your privacy, but it also helps to insulate the house.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you could be paying more than necessary to heat your home. Our experts can walk you through newer, energy-efficient products.
If you would like to learn more about preparing your windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in Sheridan at 307-429-0175.